Saturday, January 24, 2009

Driftwood Inn #23















It was a brisk Friday afternoon when a familar sound errupted from my computer. I looked at the screen only to find it flashing a message exclaiming that my long lost sister and cousin would be braving the elements to come to the town of potatos. After working out the tedious details, the trip was planned. All that needed to be done was following through with it. The clock struck 5, and I knew that in 3 hours and 32 minutes, the blood relations would be here. So to busy myself for the long wait, I grabbed my scriptures and attempted at doing my D&C homework so I would be completely and utterly free. One thing led to another, and it was 9:15, the time Daniel and me were to leave Rexburg and meet with the sister and cousin. No homework had been done, no bags were packed, and my phone began buzzing from the brother who was waiting for me to come out. I grabbed what ressembled a bag and threw everything in arms reach into the bag. Of course, the swimsuit was forgotten. I said my good-byes to the apartment, not realizing no one was in there and shut the door to what would be the last time I'd be blonde in room 303. I got in the car and we embarked on the long journey to Idaho Falls. Jokes were told, fake laughter ozzing out of the car doors, and complaints of the weather and distance were discussed, and still we were not even to Rigby. We finally saw the dim lights of the Falls and took exit 309...not 118 nor anything close to it. Off in the distance we saw the flickering lights of a Driftwood Inn Best Western, we turned. There in a snow packed car sat Brittany and Nicole. I stepped out of the car, resembling the take off of an eagle as I went and bought my first motel room. We were to stay in room 23. We anxiously opened the room to discover to large queen sized beds, a t.v., and all the general accomadies of a motel room. It wasn't until we turned on the light to the bathroom that my life bounced into place, and everything made sense to me. One might go as far as to say that my life was complete in that moment. We left the motel and drove around the streets aimlessly for a while, deciding where we should eat. Finally, an apple fell out of the sky so to speak and we went to Applebees. While waiting for our food, Daniel entertained us with his eletrical tape and performed an act of love towards his favorite sister. Not just anyone can scoop the whipped cream off hot cocoa with such grace as he did. Then finally three 7 oz steaks, and a salad, were brought to us. We felt as though we were royalty, with the exception of the salad. We began eatting our 7 ozs of cow until I was informed that my steak was not in fact steak, but that of a puppy. Needless to say, that steak was not finished. After downing the equivilance of a baby hippo and the amount of water it takes to fill a baby pool, we took our leave and headed to Walmart. Along the journey, several legs were crossed in an effort to hold what lied beneath. After what felt like a trip Colorado Springs and back, we reached the dirty streets of Walmart. We hopped out of the car only to find ourselves in a huge puddle of muck. Nice parking, Nicole. We ran into Walmart, well waddled more like only to find an OUT OF ORDER sign on the women's restroom. All hope was lost. We continued to wander the store, not knowing where to go, what to do. Finally, a brave soul asked if and where the other bathrooms are. By the shoes of course! We did our business and continued on our journey...we found ourselves in the hair dye aisle looking for anything that'd darken these golden locks. After grabbing two boxes of medium dark brown dye, we got in line. We bought the goods moments after midnight and began the long drive back to the hotel. After falling asleep on Daniel multiple times, one ending in droll and a face slap, we reached our destination. We said our goodbyes and entered into room 23. We didn't waste any time and began the hair dying process. 20 minutes, 2 magazines, and 2 boxes later, I found myself in the shower. The water began trickling on me resembling that of a waterfall, the cool rock surface beneath my toes, the smell of the tropics ozzing out of the Best Western brand shampoo and the clear encasement of the shower. Had I died? Was this heaven? After spending well over an hour under the majestic falls, I decided all good things must come to an end, if not for me, for my wrinkly skins sake. Rejoining my clan, I discovered that during my absence a "mistake" had taken place. Apparently the last person in our room ordered themselves something and didn't finish it. So, Brittany and Nicole had quite the excitement with that. Since they had become all excited from their little movie, we decided to find out our fates. A marriage to Ricky Butler later we found ourselves yearning for entertainment. But really what can you do at 3 in the morning. We pulled out the good ol' Scategories board and began the game of excitement. 12 rounds later we all zonked out. Suddenly, music errupts from the alarm clock on the nightstand and knocks come from the outside with a mexican accented "housekeeping" "hello? housekeeping". If we don't answer the door, obviously we don't want it. Knock after knock after knock, we finally decided to get up. I had D&C homework to finish in 30 minutes and the others needed all the time they could get for their hair. 54% later, we exited the motel and headed to the mall. Two wrong turns, an authorized vehicle only exit later, we found ourselves back at the motel looking for rings. We found the rings and a glass mug and raced out of the room! Then on our way once again to the mall, we were pulled by fate to a nearby Pizza Hut. Unfortunately, the laziness of a brother kept us from going in and we were at the mall. 2:30, an awkward time for all, we bought dresses, pretzles, proactive, and lotions. We then headed to the bubble where we would soon meet up with Daniel. Realizing along the way, however, I do not know where he lives. We found his street with ease, but passed his house repeatedly. We went in and got the gangly looking fella and headed to Pizza Hut. Minutes upon minutes passed as we waited to be simply seated. Finally, they placed us in a booth and we ordered our drinks. A forgotten soda later, and several minutes more, the waitress finally took our order. Two pizzas. 45 minutes later with anger errupting in everyone's eyes we recieved our pizzas. Never before have I consumed so many pieces in such a short amount of time. It was then that I realized I eat my feelings. After finishing the pizzas and spilling sauce, we exited to the car only to find out that our dear sweet Daniel had in fact robbed the Pizza Hut. A jar of crayons they will never be seeing again. We dropped off the boy and headed back to Idaho Falls. After going in solo this time to get our room, the manager, who was quite good looking might I add, informed me that our reservation did not in fact go through. Fortunately, no one else was staying in the motel that night so it really didn't matter. He gave me the keys to room 37 and sent me on my way. We go to our room and open the doors to the corner room. There was so much room, the view was fantastic and the set up of the room would make an old man cry. Unfortunately, Brittany turned on the light of the bathroom exposing a TUB! Three hearts were shattered that night. Where was the clear encasement, the rock tile flooring, the waterfall shower head?! Had we really ended up in hell already!? Several stomps, pouts, bargains, and tear filled insults later, Brittany called the front desk and asked for a room change. Nicole and I entered into the dark office and approached the front desk to be informed we would be staying in room 26. This is no good. I hesitantly squeaked, "How bout 23." Luckily, Nicole was there to translate that we have a thing for that room and would like to stay there instead. It was in that moment that I, like George Strait, saw God that day. Light seemed to feel the room as the keys to room 23 were handed over. Supressing my excitement till we reached the doors, we headed to room 23. We skipped inside the small, yet adequate room and ran straight to the shower. That is where we would be staying that night. A shower interview later, we found Nicole snoozing on the bed. It was then, that the fun began. I took another glorious shower and we read each other futures and did some tarot readings. Apparently I take no advice and make decisions with little to no thought. Movement was seen from the bed across from us as we climbed into our own to go to sleep. Nicole had awoken, and was no longer tired. We decided that a fairy tale was needing written and began what will soon be my next blog post. We left the motel with another of their cups and went to JBs Diner. 3 french toasts and a stiffing of the waiter later, we bid each other fairwell. However, the fairy tale is still in progress via the phone and will be posted soon. Until then, you stay classy san diego.

No comments: